17 November 2013

Dear Molly, I love autumn, Cambridge, coffee & you...

Today was one of those beautifully hazy, damp, cold, colourful autumn days. I love this time of year. I feel peaceful in autumn. Warming up is so much nicer than trying to cool down.

Today was Sunday and, as we often do, we went to Cambridge for breakfast. At our favourite spot in our favourite cafe we watched the students, the tourists, the scholars, the children and their families walk past our window and go about their business. You saw a small boy walk past and you asked where his Mummy and Daddy were. "Maybe he will find them soon Mummy." You love watching people and Sunday morning in Cambridge is a great place to do that. Behind a cafe window, warm and happy, the air filled with chatter and the smell of coffee. It's reminiscent of my favourite film where autumn and winter are the essence of the film and everything I love about it.
Love Story ~ Erich Segal (1970)

You waited so patiently for your poached eggs and had a wonderful pensive aura about you. I hope you were as happy to be there with me, as I was with you. I didn't feel the need to talk too much. I wanted you to enjoy the atmosphere without interrupting you. You chatted when you were ready.


After breakfast we went to the bookshop where you delighted the lady at the till by telling her all about your book voucher and how "you use them to get books." You went on to say, "it really is very clever." She smiled and agreed.

On the way to the sweet shop you entertained everyone with a loud rendition of your very own song about making a big honey pie for your Mummy!

On the way home we followed a horse box and the horse was kicking a lot. I said he didn't look very happy and you said, "maybe he isn't happy because he was naughty at horsey school and they are taking him away from his horsey friends because he was naughty....maybe? Maybe that is why he is sad Mummy?" I said that sounded like a very plausible scenario. You looked pleased. 

We went for tea and cake and to look round the Christmas barn before we went home. Your little face was so delighted with all of the sparkly baubles, stars, winter animals and snowy pine trees. You said, "look Mummy, another snowman!" You shrieked, "I didn't know they'd have two snowmen! I am so lucky to see two snowmen." I love how much you appreciate things. Don't ever stop.

I had a perfect day with you darling and I hope you loved it too. Lots of love, as always, Mummy x

"Love means never having to say you're sorry" ~ Erich Segal




No comments:

Post a Comment