28 March 2014

Me, you & The Glamour of Italian Fashion

"Look Mummy, an elephant with horns"
"It's called a mammoth darling"
"Oh yes Mummy, a mammoth. We saw them at the dinosaur park"
"We did baby. They're extinct like dinosaurs"
"Yes Mummy. They do stink a lot!"
My conversations with you are lovely. You are lovely. Sometimes though, Mummy likes doing other things. Things without dinosaurs, or mammoths, or crayons, or Hello Kitty umbrellas (when it's not raining) or little chocolaty handprints on my tights. Yesterday was like that. 

Mummy and Auntie Lulu went to London for my birthday treat. 
We had lunch at a perfect little, family run for 65 years, Italian restaurant http://www.cosmoba.co.uk/ Auntie Lulu has been coming here since she was little. 
Then we went to see The Glamour of Italian Fashion exhibition at the Victoria & Albert museum. A beautiful look at the finest Italian design and craftsmanship from the Second World War to the present day. Dresses, shoes and jewellery to behold. 
I need my time for me. I want to be able to say to you that Mummy saw that exquisite Bulgari necklace that that beautiful lady in the film wore once. That Mummy's seen the real version of the picture on our wall, painted over 150 years ago. That I always miss you when you're not with me but I that had a lovely grown up day. I wore nice clothes, had some nice wine, wandered amongst things that you won't appreciate just yet and came home loving you even more. 

As always, I got you a little present.
You adored your new book about a little girl who goes to the same museum that Mummy went to in search of a hatmaker to mend her Granny's hat and finds herself on a magical adventure. I wondered if you'd listened to it all but today you told me that a milliner was a hatmaker, so I can relax. This was my way of attaching you to my day in a way you can appreciate. I'm biding my time until you want me to take you to see beautiful things, to learn where they come from, to see real paintings and to appreciate the world and everything in it. There is so much for us to do. 
I love you & I'll see you tomorrow.



1 comment:

  1. There's nothing like a day away from our littlies, I come back with my batteries recharged, and I am so ready to squeeze them and play with them even more :-) Sounds like a lovely day out!

    ReplyDelete